Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stop Reading Now If You Don't Want HP6 Spoilers!

Oh. My. Gosh.

I just returned from HP6 with Fox and I want to drive right back to the theater and see it again.

It was THAT good.

Sure they deviated from the book, and yes, I wish they had included the big Order/Death Eater fight inside Hogwarts at the end. I'm sure there are many rabid fans pulling at the strings of their Gryffindor capes in frustration right now. But come on people, the movie is a totally different species from the book! If I had seen the Twilight movie before reading the books I probably would have boycotted them with the same unashamed malice that I had for Titanic (Stupid Leo DeCaprio and your overused "I'm King of the World" crap). The HP movies will never be perfectly true to the genius that is J.K. Rowling's series. How can they when they are but a reproduction, not the original piece of art. I'm just impressed that they managed to get in all the important plot lines and many of the details in less than 3 hours.

I loved that they made most of the movie so humorous and light. It was such a poignant contrast to and heightened the emotion of the events of the last 45 minutes! Lavender was a perfect "Single White Female" stalker and Ron doped up on love potion was hilarious!!!! For the first time in the 6 movies I saw a real, easy friendship between Hermione and Harry (which if you've read book 7 you know how important that camaraderie will be). I even need to give a shout out to the poor little waif with bleached hair and skin who plays Draco. He actually acted in this movie- bravo to the scary albino!

The one iffy- but not necessarily bad- part of the movie was the budding romances between Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny. The kiss between Harry and Ginny looked a little too timid- I mean, I know I just finished saying that we shouldn't compare the movie to the book, but they full on made out in the book- so their little peck came off as sweet but a tad incestuous (like kissing a second cousin- not that I've ever done that. Really, I promise. I may be from Utah but we do have limits). Ron and Hermione haven't lip locked yet, but I can't see how the inevitable kiss won't come off as awkward. They have no chemistry on screen. Don't get me wrong- I think they are both fabulous in their respective roles. It's just that I can't envision them kissing without throwing up a little in my mouth. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

All in all, HP6 is one fantastic, thrilling ride. I know a movie is good when my 8 year old has to pee so badly he's bouncing up and down an hour into it but he doesn't want to miss a single moment by leaving.

Thank heavens for bladder control.

No comments:

Post a Comment