Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am so sick of getting sick!

They should start spraying down the kids after school with antiseptic in those giant plastic showers, like they do on Eleventh Hour when there's been a chemical spill or outbreak of some deadly, infectious disease. Seriously, do these kids spend all day touching each other after licking their hands over and over? Why are Elementary schoolds the breeding grounds for every virus in the world?

If it was just my own kids nastiness brought home it would be bad enough, but I also get everything that every one of my students brings with them to lessons. I love each and every one of them, but when they come to lessons coughing I just know I'll get it a few days later. No amount of lysol can kill every microorganism floating in the air of my studio during flu season. You'd think I'd be immune to every single bacteria out there by now, but without fail I catch a wide variety of flus and viruses every year.

This morning I woke up feeling like I had gone to war with demons in my sleep, and so I spent the entire morning laying on my bed with the man child while we watched every single PBS show in existence. The silver lining (a very, very small lining that is) is that I watched Sid the Science Kid for the first time in weeks, and it was actually one I hadn't seen yet on small machines, aka. wheels, so the Man Child totally ate it up. (side note- Just how dumb have I gotten in the 9 years since I graduated from college that I learn just as much from the science programs on PBS as my 2 year old?? Fortunately, I'm still ahead of Reading Rainbow, Word World and Between the Lions. Thank you Jane Austen for your intoxicating words that keep me literate!) He sat still through the entire 25 or so minutes it was on! Miracle! My hatred for the insipid May character came back as strongly as ever, as everthing she said sounded like it came from the mouth of a 40 year old woman knocking back a few dozen valium and washing it down with a few wine chasers.

But now I'm up, forcing myself to shower and feed the MC. Fortunately he's only asked to "go for walk" 4 or 5 times, and I was able to deflect it every time with "are you hungry?". No wonder the kid weighs 40 pounds. (note to self- stop using food as a bribe for the youngest child. As the other two are still within normal weight parameters, bribes with candy are still a-okay) I'm also going to make myself finish the laundry, because there's nothing worse than having to look at piles and piles of dirty clothes after purposely procrastinating the chore, and then get ready for this afternoon's round of lessons followed by Young Womens.

I really just want to go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment